Curse that Gertie- she makes it look so easy.
I signed up for Gertie’s Bombshell dress class about, ooh…a hundred years ago. Okay, May last year, inspired mainly by Oona’s, Karen’s, and especially Adri H’s efforts. I watched a few of the videos then real life got hectic and I put it on hold. About six months ago I bought some fabric. Then with this year’s stashbusting pledge I decided it was now or never. I have a wedding to go to in April, I have a pattern, a class and fabric. What was stopping me? As it turns out – time. I knew I would have a few days to myself this half term when I’m not at work and the children are otherwise occupied. Perfect. Surely it wouldn’t take more than two, maybe three days max? I’d still have time to knock out another Mathilde, maybe even make those blinds that I’ve been promising the husband I’d make (YAWN).
How wrong could I be. Now this is in no way a criticism of Gertie or the class, they are wonderful, inspirational. Or the pattern, which I knew from the beginning was for a B cup. My frustration is totally down to my own impatience, attempts at cutting corners and generally trying to get too much done in too little time. It is me, all me, my fault. I hold my hands up to that. Okay. Exhibit A.
Which should really be exhibit B, as it is muslin number two. Number one, a 38 all over caused my children to double over laughing. I won’t repeat what they said, I have some dignity. Number two, a 42 on the front two pieces and the cups looked okay on the dress form. There I was patting myself on the back at how clever I’d been. On me it was a different matter. The centre piece stood well away from my chest and there was considerable, let’s just say overspill, at the sides. It turns out that the bra I have on my dress form no longer fits. No idea why. (Thinks back to all the cake. Pizza. Pasta. Lager. Cider. Apple crumble….what the Hell, it was worth it.)
Okay, on to muslin number three. New well fitting bra on the dress form. Starting to get a bit boring now. Only redoing the cups. Skipped the thread tracing on them. Fortunately as well as re-watching Gertie’s tutorial and reading all the questions and answers I also read Katy’s tips for full bust adjustments on her blog – Sleek Silhouette. Thank you Katy, you are an absolute star for sharing. Using first Gertie’s draping method then using Katy’s tips for extra adjustments. Who would have thought that my cups are the same size as my head!
It’s better than number two. I have pretty much eliminated the centre front problem. However the cups are now a little wide, and pointy. The centre seams on the cups don’t match the seams on the bodice and the back is now too loose.
I have just cut out muslin number four. I am getting so sick of that yellow fabric. I have gone back to the thread tracing. Yes, Gertie was right, it is worth doing. Tomorrow is my last full free day and I am prepared to miss meals to move this project on. If I could fit myself with a catheter I would. Hopefully by tomorrow night I will have something a bit more impressive to show.