At last, as promised, I have completed my first Elisalex.
I am going to call this a wearable muslin. Yes, I know that I do this quite a bit. I admit that it is mainly to excuse the fact that it’s not quite perfect but I can’t be arsed to go back and fix it all. Whatever, the way I see it as long as I am learning from my mistakes and I produce something that I am happy to wear despite the imperfections then I have a winner. And by calling it a wearable muslin it means that I do intend to go back and make it again without all the little flaws.
Anyway… you can see that I made the sleeveless version and used a half circle skirt instead of the proper one in the pattern. With hindsight I think that switching the skirts was a mistake. At the time I wanted something full and twirly, in contrast to the other things I had made recently. However I think that when I realised I only had enough fabric for the half circle instead of a full then I should have gone back to plan A. In the end I also had to add a bit extra on the bottom as well as it was still way too short. I think I just about got away with it.
Well on the plus side I can indeed twirl in it…
On the minus side, I think that on me, without the tulip skirt it looks a bit, dare I say it, meh….? Don’t get me wrong, I do love the this pattern. It fits almost perfectly, and the whole thing came together really quickly and easily. And some of the others I’ve seen online with different skirts have been fabulous, Kathryns, for example, and Lauren’s. I just think this one is nothing special. Nothing to do with the pattern, just my bad choice. And it’s a shame cos look at the fabric. I got this an age ago from Fabric Inspirations. Their website really is fabric porn if you like prints. From a distance it looks like a kind of bandana print, but close up you get little tiny skulls! How cool is that?
I had to take in the upper back by about an inch and a half on either side, which is pretty usual for me. And I still need to add a hook and eye at the top, which should eliminate most of that gaping. I used a zipper from my stash so it is not as long as the one the pattern calls for.
I also made the usual silly mistakes of course – sewing one of the back pieces on upside down, then sewing the side seams before reading the next step which said add the lining first – duh. My excuse is that the only time I have had to sew recently is after the girls have gone to bed, by which time I have usually already been up for nearly fifteen hours and done a full day at work. Which is also my excuse for failing to hoover or pick up cat toys before taking photos. As my mother used to say – a tidy house is the sign of a wasted life. (disclaimer – my house is actually pretty tidy but this is mostly down to my husband, who is wonderful and amazing. And my mother had a cleaner.)
Spurred on by my mistakes with this one and by Roisin’s perfect version here, (and I love anyone who references Father Ted) I have nearly finished Elisalex No. 2. It is most definitely closer to the pattern, with the proper skirt and sleeves. I love it already.
As for this one, I will definitely wear it. Actually I will probably wear it more than if I had used the correct skirt. I do have a tendency to keep stuff I really love for best, a habit that I am trying to break because I rarely go anywhere that requires best clothes so it goes unworn. And I do like it, I just don’t love it yet.