Meet Up, Mad Men and Me Made May

First up – the London meet up. How cool was that?!  To be honest I am still coming down and when I do I will post about it properly but  I just wanted to say that you were all right. I had no reason to be nervous. Every single person I met was friendly, interesting, lovely and totally cool!  Aren’t sewists just the best? And a big thank you to the fabulous Rachel for her fantastic organisation, she really is a star. Can’t wait until the next one.

Right, next – the Mad Men challenge. I finished my dress – Yay!  But now my camera is refusing to let me see the photos. So I had to bribe my eight year old to take some with my iphone. And she does love a crazy camera angle, so these are the best of the bunch.  My inspiration came from this blue floral number worn by Betty in series four:

Mad+Men+Mad+Style+Episode+9+Betty+2

(picture from Tom and Lorenzo)

Mainly because I already had fabric and a pattern in my stash – Butterick 9269 from the early 60’s, that I have already made up once before so I wouldn’t need to do a muslin.

B9269

Okay, this is where I confess that I have only ever seen about five episodes of Mad Men. I can appreciate that it is good television and I did enjoy the episodes I watched.  I just prefer my TV viewing to have a few more murders. Or aliens. Or both.  I do love the clothes but that was not enough to hold my interest.  Maybe I should have persevered?

Anyway, in theory this should have been easy, and apart having to juggle sewing with small ill child (better now, yay!) it was.  The fabric was a bit of a pain. It is something called ‘microfibre’ which I now know means ‘slippery as feck and frays like a bastard’.  It was also quite thin and see through so I lined it with a white cotton sheet.  I took the side seams in a bit as my last attempt had a bit too much ease. I also tried to be clever and do a low back, which ended up making the whole neck gape. I fixed it with a couple of pleats in the front neckline. When I was researching what to make I noticed that a few of Joan’s outfits had this detail so I figured I could get away with it. The pattern is quite interesting in that there are little gathers at the sides of the front and back bodice instead of darts, which I quite liked. And the bit that looks like a waistband is actually a belt but I didn’t have a buckle so I used hooks and eyes for now.

Well here it is:

photo (5)

photo (3)

photo (2)I’m so graceful (NOT)

photo (4)

It was interesting making up this pattern again because it did allow me to see just how far I’ve come with my sewing.  I still have a lot to learn but it’s nice to be able to look back and see how much progress I’ve made. I think I’m getting there.

Finally –

‘I, Jo, of The Amazing Adventures of Taracat, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May ’13. I endeavour to wear at least one self made garment each day for the duration of May 2013, but I am allowing myself one day a week off if I need it.’

Advertisements

32 thoughts on “Meet Up, Mad Men and Me Made May

      1. sewbusylizzy

        It was so lovely to meet you! I’m super inspired to make an Elisalex now. If I was staring at your bust I was really just admiring your stripe matching!! LOL we are stitchers after all 🙂

  1. Lynne

    Your dress is lovely, I really like the fabric (even if it was a bit of a nightmare!). And I love every variation on the pattern envelope!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s