It was supposed to be a quick and easy make. No hems because I used the scalloped edges of the fabric. No need for fitting because I’ve made it before. No lining because I have a slip that will go under it, and no zip because I am weird and twisty and can get into it without needing one. However I didn’t take into account the fact that I have never made this with sleeves. Since I stopped full on training, and especially since having children my limbs have been a touch on the chubby side. I’m cool with that. I like to think of my lunch lady arms as un-toned muscle left over from my kick boxing days rather than flubber but if I’m honest a summer of chips and beers on the beach has not helped the old bingo wings. The sleeves and armholes were way to tight. I had other things I wanted to make so I shoved it into my Un-Finished Objects box where it has festered for a month or so.
As I am on a mission to eliminate UFOs I decided it was worth another look and I’m really glad I did because it was a simple fix. I’d sewn it all together in the wrong order, attaching the sleeves before sewing up the side seams in order to cheat on easing them in. Yes, I know that is probably why they didn’t fit in the first place, but I thought it would make it easier. However it did mean that I could just unpick the seams of the sleeves right down to an inch or so below the armhole then stitch it up with a tiny seam allowance. Job done and I love it.
I should write more but my brain has stopped working after just two days back at work and I need gin. I admit that I am a complete lightweight but after a summer off doing an honest day’s work has been a bit of a shock to the system. So allow me to communicate the rest of this post through the medium of Dance.
And please feel free to join in …