Last week I actually got some time to sew. I had to shift the cat off my sewing desk and untangle some cables before I could get started. The pedal cable had somehow managed to wind itself around the power cable, and the overlocker wires had also got tangled so I unplugged it all and crawled under the desk to sort it out. I did think I was being careful but obviously not careful enough. In my efforts to separate the cables I must have I pulled something a little too hard and my forehead hit the floor as nine kilograms of overlocker dropped off the desk and slammed on to the back of my head.
I think I might have been out for a few seconds but I picked myself up, rubbed the egg sized lump that was growing on my head, swore a bit then inspected the damage to the machine. It looked okay, obviously my head took most of the impact, but wouldn’t switch on. I was not going to be able to use it to make the knit dress I was planning and to be honest I wasn’t feeling much like sewing by now. However I have had so little time recently I was determined not to waste it so I turned to my UFO box.
I started this Colette Macaron last year, but it stalled when I realised that there was no way I was going to get the different fabrics along the left side to match up. In my possibly concussed state I decided that didn’t really matter, I needed a dress for work and I would just have to remember not to raise my arms.
It didn’t need much work, just sewing up the side and hemming. The black cotton is left over from my other macaron, and the plaid is cream, black, and grey with fine threads of brown and silver. It was a remnant from my local fabric shop in Whitstable but I can’t remember how much it cost or how much I got, and I definitely can’t remember much about the construction.
The fit is not great. I’m not sure whether that is down to my shape changing since I started it or just because I was crap at fitting back then. I suspect it’s a bit of both. I can dance in it though:
I am not in love with this dress but it is okay for work, probably with a cardi over. What I did enjoy about this project was seeing how far I’ve come in the last year. The stuff I was making was wearable, but I now know enough to be able to see where I cut corners and how it could be improved. It remains to be seen whether it will stop me cutting corners, but at least I can see a difference and know better what I can and can’t get away with.
After I finished this dress I was feeling a bit ropey so I decided I had the perfect excuse to go back to bed with a large coffee and series one of Dexter, which I missed the first time round and have been saving until I could watch uninterrupted. And there is good news about my overlocker. My husband had a look at it when he got in and it worked perfectly. As he pointed out, these things generally work better when you plug them in ….