It’s been a good week. I was off work so managed to get some sewing done, and I won Katy Sleek Silhouette’s skirt pattern and fabric giveaway! Go and check out what she made – we are going to be skirt twins!
This is what I managed to finish. I’m not sure if I made it in time for the deadline but here is Sew Dolly Clackett dress number 3, (here are numbers one and two) and my first attempt at the By Hand London Flora dress. I wish I was clever at naming my dresses but I’m not, so I will go for the obvious and call it my Seaside Flora. ‘Cos look:
This picture shows the print off best, it came from the market in Birmingham when I went on the meet up last year. Unfortunately we had to abandon our outdoors photo shoot due to next door’s son gurning at me in a particularly disturbing way as I was posing. Very off putting. What this dress really needs is a proper English seaside back drop, with ice cream and sand castles, but I only had about five minutes to grab the photos so no time to head to the beach.
This is my first attempt at Flora. Even with the addition of some fake piping on the bodice (I realised after the shops closed that I had run out of cord, so I just folded over my bias binding tape and used it the same way I would proper piping) it was a quick and easy make. However it definitely needs tweaking. I cut a UK size 14 all over, which is larger than I would normally make but I have put on a few pounds and it seemed to be the right size for my measurements according to the packet. Unfortunately the bodice came up way too big and the darts were off. I also had to add a couple of upper back darts to sort out gaping and take a chunk out of the centre back. I know I should have muslined it first but I was desperate to make it and the fabric was only cheap. I would have been better off sticking with a 12 for the bodice, and have done for Flora number two, I have already started as I am dying to try this pattern again. I also found that the front skirt came up really short. I am only 5 foot two with stubby legs so be aware of this if you are making the high low hemline version. There is quite a dramatic difference between the length of the front and back, which is the whole point of a high low hem, I guess:
Oh, and I almost forgot to show you my amazing rayon seam binding bound seams:
Not quite perfect but I’m pretty bloody proud of them.
Anyway I used bias binding tape instead of a hem to avoid losing any more length, and I took the side seams in and while it is by no means perfect it is definitely wearable. And wearing this print makes me really happy, like summer is on it’s way. That and the amazing twirl factor of this skirt and it’s got to be worth a dance:
After the initial disappointment with the fit this dress is definitely growing on me, I may even love it a little bit and it will get worn this summer. Maybe not as much as the last two dresses I made, because of the short front, but it will be perfect for summer evening beach barbecues. And I have already cut out my second Flora. I am a bit gutted not to have finished it yet, because the fabric is totally Dolly Clackett and I think it will be perfect, but I really wanted to sort out the fitting issues before using such amazing fabric. So watch this space, I may even get it finished this weekend.